Saturday, April 29, 2006

Wii are not amused

Admittedly, I have never been on the cutting edge of the gaming industry - traditionally waiting a couple of years to purchase the newest system when prices have dropped. However, in the past few years, I have attained a level of financial comfortable that allows me to splurge on occasion. With the newest iteration of "next-gen" consoles, I had intended to do just that. While the Playstation 3 had been the focus of my lustful desires, I had also planned on acquiring an Xbox 360 and quite possibly the innovative gaming platform that Nintendo had been working on. A platform with the codename: Revolution. A placeholder name that they repeatedly indicated was not permanent.

I can understand that Nintendo was a bit reluctant to cling this particular name, since it was lagging behind the other new consoles in terms of performance levels and graphical capabilities. Perhaps it didn't feel that it was really doing anything "revolutionary." Then again, when considering their unique controller-design and virtual console (through which users could purchase and play a variety of legacy gaming platforms from the original NES to the Sega Genesis and even the TurboGrafx 16) one could argue that the "Revolution" moniker was well-deserved.

Whatever their reason for desiring a name change, I find it hard to justify their newest decision. The Wii (pronounced "wee"). My first thought was that this was some kind of April Fool's stunt, even though it was 26 days to late. An actual visit to the official website, though, proved my darkest fears.

Now, I'm no advertising guru. I don't even have a marketing degree (it's actually a Literature degree with minor in Mathematics). But I have worked in the marketing industry for almost four years now, and one thing I've learned - keep it simple. This is a lesson that my own company could learn. Case in point, our company logo.

After working at my employer for almost a year, I was at a dinner party where a client asked me what our company logo was supposed to be. I had to tell her that I had no idea. Neither did anyone on my team. It was only after this client had stumbled around the party (I should probably mention she was pretty hammered) for twenty or so minutes that she came back up to me to tell me what it was. Even then, a simple description still didn't bring it in to clarity; she had to physically point out to me (as someone had done for her) the exact nature of the logo before my brain could translate it from a mess of dots and squiggles into a recognizable image. In the intervening years, I have done the same for coworkers and clients - none of whom have ever been able to figure out what our logo is independently.

I'm certain that back when our firm was founded, someone said, "Hey this is trendy. We should do this. It's full of subtext and meaning." I have no doubt that someone at Nintendo said the same thing about Wii. In fact, that's exactly what they said.

"Introducing ... Wii. As in "we." While the code-name "Revolution" expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that separates video game players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games ... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?"

"Wii sounds like 'we,' which emphasizes this console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii."

"Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of video games that sets it apart from the crowd."

"So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because, it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything."

When a metaphor is simple (pen= sword, dove = peace, snake = guile) it works. When a metaphor is more complex (white dress = 19th century abolitionist movement in Greyhaven, Massachusetts just east of Westchester) it has to struggle to be effective. If you're reading a novel, watching a movie/play or even listening to a song on the radio, the author has a greater opportunity to help you understand and perceive the message they are communicating - assuming they are trying to send a message.

In marketing/advertising though, you've got one, brief moment to interest your potential customer. You need something that's short, sweet and to the point. If you have to explain what the hell your product name/brand/logo means, you're already fighting a losing battle.

Essentially, Nintendo has chosen to use a textual abstract painting to name its new gaming platform - the same stroke of genius that led Prince to change his name to a symbol. I mean "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince."

Really? He's going by Prince again, huh?

...Go figure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, old bean. Well said.

Anonymous said...

Your comment: "I have worked in the marketing industry for almost four years now, and one thing I've learned - keep it simple."

My response: What could be simpler than a unique spelling of a word we and much of the world uses everyday, we?

Your comment: "When a metaphor is simple it works. When a metaphor is more complex it has to struggle to be effective."

My comment: This is true amongst conventional thinkers, but when someone's pounding this name into your head, as everyone has been doing for the last six days, you tend to get it. You get it? If you don't know, you will when you see the onslaught of marketing that will follow shortly.

You're comment: "In marketing/advertising though, you've got one, brief moment to interest your potential customer."

My response: With a simple, 30 second teaser, the internet lit up like wild-fire with this name. To me, that sounds like Wii definitely grabbed your attention.

Honestly, although the name defies all conventions (pronunciation, negative associations, simplicity), it does just that, and we're all starting to adore it for doing just that.

Wii is the revolution. Wii works. And Wii should all take notes.

Elli